Book Club - February


In a college course, a professor read excerpts from Oliver Sacks' The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat.  After class, I sought the book out for myself, and was mesmerized by the case studies he shared.  It also helps that Sacks is such a storyteller - it doesn't feel clinical when he talks about these medical issues.  I was already interested in the brain and cognition through my psychology courses, but Sacks really influenced my interest in brain injuries and neurological disorders.

From there I wanted to read all his works - to date, I've read Musicophilia, Hallucinations, and Awakenings.  I've read portions of The Mind's Eye, so that's technically on my list still.

This month, I intend to start An Anthropologist on Mars.

I know one of the essays is about Temple Grandin, an autistic woman who designed humane livestock facilities, inspired by a "hug machine" she had built for herself.  The effect is that deep pressure is calming to hypersensitive people, and to animals.

Even though I know this, I still expect to learn more about her from Sacks' essay.

So what are you reading or hoping to read this month?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Science is Fun Fridays!

Thanksgiving Open Thread