Book Club - September


Today marks the anniversary of when Thoreau left Walden in 1847. 

He moved in with fellow writer and friend, Ralph Waldo Emerson, who inspired him to write in the first place.

It was at the age of 27 that Thoreau decided to live in nature, building his cabin and living off his garden for two years.  During this time, he wrote the above collection of essays, and after being arrested for refusing to pay taxes, he wrote Civil Disobedience.

The Gutenberg Archive has them together, Here.


So I think I may start on that, as I only had to read excerpts in school, and otherwise I've just been reading short stories that I've read before.  (Nightmares & Dreamscapes).


 

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Science is Fun Fridays!

Thanksgiving Open Thread