Book Club - August

 

I had to run to the bookstore for a birthday gift and I couldn't pass this book up.  Years ago I read Desperation and this is a "mirror" novel to that one, so I'm hoping I remember enough to catch the connections.

I'm not sure how King ever thought he could get away with a pseudonym.  There is something very particular about the way he writes, and as a "Constant Reader" I could tell immediately with this one, and I'm not even through the first chapter yet.

I keep a list of King/Bachman books to check off as I intend to read them all.  I have more crossed off than left to read, and it's mostly newer ones that are left.

I also keep an Oliver Sacks list, and I get to check off An Anthropologist on Mars.  I think I may have read the final story in college though, because I already had a quote from it, from Temple Grandin.

"I don't want my thoughts to die with me...I want to have done something.  I want to leave something behind.  I want to make a positive contribution - know that my life has meaning."

She says this so emotionally and urgently that it caused me to tear up.  And to know that she has made a contribution makes it all the more powerful.


So what are you reading?

Have any literary quotes you want to share?

Am I the only one that keeps a quote book?

One of the first ones I took down was in high school English class.


"The year in passing yields its many yesterdays." 

-Sir Gawain and the Green Knight


Speaking of a year passing, can you believe it's already August??

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Science is Fun Fridays!

Thanksgiving Open Thread