National Teacher Day

 


And Teacher Appreciation Week.

In 1953, Eleanor Roosevelt persuaded Congress to proclaim this day.  In 1985, the National PTA established the first full week of May.

To my sister, my bestie, and our dear Taha.  I also know Eolone tutors, and that's right up the same alley.  To all who teach!

Most educators would simply like better pay and support from the districts they serve, and they'd like the parents to take a few steps back.  But sure, a free apple martini is nice too.

A lot of people will comment about how teachers get the summer off and all those holidays, but it isn't all free time.  My sister is busy most of the time, not to mention answering emails at 9pm.  Plus they're always fighting against the standardized this and that when they can recognize the strength and weakness of a student.  A lot of work and dedication goes into this.

And that is why we must appreciate what teachers do.  They're choosing a career they know is lacking, but one that is very important.  Not just for the future functioning of our society, but teachers make a difference in someone's life every single day.

And I know how much it means when those students say thank you for that.

On World Teachers' Day I mentioned Mr. Kenny, my science inspiration.  This time, I remember Mr. Wessinger, who really focused with me in my pursuit for a Neuropsychology minor.  I nominated him for something on campus at the time, and he was truly touched.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Science is Fun Fridays!

Thanksgiving Open Thread