Book Club - Shakespeare Read-Along


As You Like It

Act 4, Scene 1

Rosalind, as Ganymede, speaking with Jacques about his being melancholy.

"I have neither the scholar's melancholy, which is emulation; nor the musician's, which is fantastical; nor the courtier's, which is proud; nor the soldier's, which is ambitious; nor the lawyers, which is politic; no the lady's, which is nice; nor the lover's, which is all these: but it is a melancholy of mine own, compounded of many simples, extracted from many objects, and indeed the sundry contemplation of my travels, in which my often rumination wraps me in a most humorous sadness."

Orlando arrives, having broken his promise to visit on time, so she gives him a hard time about accepting his love.  He says he would die.  She tells him men don't die from love, but she decides to give him another try and tells Celia to marry them., but Orlando must leave to dine with the duke.  He promises to return by 2 o' clock.

"I'll tell thee, Aliena, I cannot be out of sight of Orlando.  I'll go find a shadow and sigh until he come."

Act 4, Scene 2

A lord tells Jacques he has killed a deer and Jacques suggests he bring it to the duke.  He talks them into singing a song about hunting and wearing the horns.

Act 4, Scene 3

Rosalind is checking the time and then Silvius arrives with a letter from Phebe.  He thought it was an angry letter but it was a love letter, and Rosalind tells Silvius to go back and tell Phebe that if she loves Ganymede she must love Silvius, or he will never love her.

As Silvius leaves, Oliver enters, with a bloodstained handkerchief.  He explains that Orlando is late because he saved a man from a snake, and then had to fight a lioness - and it was Oliver that he saved.  

"Was't you that did so oft try to kill him?"
"'Twas I: but 'tis not I.  I do not shame to tell you what I was, since my conversion so sweetly tastes, being the thing I am."

Orlando was injured so Oliver treated his wound and then came as asked to tell Rosalind what happened.  Rosalind faints at the sight of the blood.  Oliver says she does not have a man's heart, and she agrees, but begs that he not tell Orlando.



So we'll finish up with Act 5 next week!  :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Science is Fun Fridays!

Thanksgiving Open Thread