Book Club - Shakespeare

 


Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor as Petruchio and Katharina.

One of the main reasons I started reading Shakespeare for myself was to know the origins of quotes in pop culture, such as "Kiss me, Kate!" in this instance.

When they first met, I enjoyed their back and forth of witty insult and innuendo.  But now heading into Act IV, I don't like this guy at all.  Instead of matching her, he must overpower her, break her.  I don't see that being necessary, especially as she isn't railing against the marriage or anything.

On the other hand, Bianca seems to have more power in her courtings.  She's aware of Lucentio's trick, (disguised as Cambio), and she's playing on Hortensio's desire.  She is about to "practice how to bride it" from the bedroom her sister was just taken from.  No wedding party for Kate.


Summary and Analysis

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Science is Fun Fridays!

Thanksgiving Open Thread