Book Club - Ghost Stories

 


Man-Size in Marble by Edith Nesbit

A not so spooky but fine enough ghost story.  Poor Laura.

The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman

This one though, I'm not sure it really is a ghost story, but it was haunting.  I felt my anxiety rise as she lost her mind - how expertly written that was. 

I had a sense of Lovecraft as I was reading, the insanity of "The Rats in the Walls."  So I thought it was interesting to find he had commented on the story, saying it "rises to a classic level in subtly delineating the madness."


Previously there was mention of feminism in both of these stories, and they do both portray a woman who is treated as fragile and unable to handle themselves, with husbands who must tend to them.  Although I have a much more negative opinion of John in the second story.  I was seriously thinking he was gaslighting her.


I went ahead with the next story, The Cigarette Case by Oliver Onions.  Another fine ghost story.

The last one is The Horla by Guy de Maupassant, so I should have this all wrapped up by Halloween!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Science is Fun Fridays!

Thanksgiving Open Thread